100 ml oil
400 g minced lamb
1 spanish onion, finely chopped
2 large tbs tomato puree
40 ml water
4 aubergines, peeled and sliced
250 ml pint cheese sauce, made with 140 g cheese
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan and fry the meat and onion until browned.
2. Stir in salt, pepper, the tomato puree and water.
3. Cover and cook gently for 40 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of the remaining oil in another frying pan.
5. Add one-third of the aubergine slices and brown on all sides.
6. Brown the rest of the aubergine slices in the same way, using the remaining oil.
7. Make alternate layers of the meat mixture and aubergine slices in a baking dish, finishing with aubergine.
8. Pour over the sauce.
9. Bake in a preheated moderately hot oven 190°C (375°F) Gas Mark 5 for 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Smoking Loon Syrah (2009)
With inky purple color, this wine reveals scents of wild strawberry, mocha, and caramel with touches of sage and rosemary. The flavors burst through with intense blueberry and strawberry jam notes wrapped around rich French oak and finishing with touches of milk chocolate, sweetened cranberries, and savory herbs.